Purpose of the Committee
To champion the Barrington Public School District's commitment to cultural diversity, equity, inclusivity, trust, and mutual respect.
2019-2020 Meeting Schedule
Meetings are typically held the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM
District Administration Building
283 County Road Barrington, RI 02806
*Agenda will be published on the Attorney General Website and linked on this page 48 hours in advance of each meeting in accordance with RI Open Meetings Laws
Barrington School Administration Building is accessible to the handicapped. Individuals requiring any accommodations for disabilities must notify Barrington Public Schools at 401-245-5000 (TTD 401-247-3750) not less than 48 hours in advance.
DEI 2020-2021 Areas of Focus
The work of the DEI Committee is instrumental in defining and supporting our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity. The District has targeted the following critical areas for 2020-2021:
- Increase professional development for staff on anti-racist and culturally relevant and responsive pedagogies, practices, and curricula.
- Engage in community outreach and anti-racism training.
- Prioritize the recruitment and retention of candidates from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Champion and elevate student voice in our diversity, equity, and inclusivity agenda.
- Revisit policy and systems, at all levels, to remove any discriminatory, inequitable, or structural barriers.
- Support staff who embody anti-racist and inclusive pedagogies and practices.
- Respond directly, swiftly, and transparently to acts of racism, bigotry, and bias by staff, students, administrators, or community members.
- Strengthen and prioritize the work of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Committee.
History of the DEI Committee and Culturally Relevant Curriculum
In 2016, the District analyzed its curriculum and practices and have established a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DEI) Committee to analyze our policies and practices for structural, implicit, and explicit biases. Also, the committee is developing hiring methods to engage a more diverse talent pool. Finally, the committee is working on more inclusive communication strategies.
In addition to the work of the DEI, our curriculum leadership has analyzed the curriculum for cultural relevance and responsiveness. They found many areas in need of improvement, specifically the need to include more diverse faces and perspectives in the materials PK-12. As such, we have begun to update our curriculum. To date, the following has been accomplished. Please access these links below to see the current work of our educators and how our work is being aligned to researched-based practices:
- The grades 2-5 ELA curriculum has been replaced with E.L. Education, and K-1 will be replaced for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The P.K. curriculum will be replaced with the Boston Public Schools Curriculum in 2020-2021.
- The Middle School ELA curriculum will take a humanities approach, and anchor using the Wit and Wisdom curriculum for the 2020-2021 school year, with the pilot completed in the 2019-2020 school year.
- From 2019-present, the high school has formed a culturally relevant and responsive curriculum workgroup that includes teachers, students, and an outside expert. That group has been analyzing and editing the curriculum for cultural relevance and responsiveness.
- We have partnered with the same consultant to provide training to our School Committee, educators, and parents on diversity and implicit bias. Several of these training have already been conducted from 2018-present.
- Our English Language Learner (ELL) Leadership group has also partnered with our consultant to support our ELL program using these same tenets.
- We have adopted and integrated the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals into all of our schools, teaching students that they can be the change that the world needs.
- Finally, we have begun the process of using new approaches to our disciplinary procedures that include education regarding the intentional and unintentional impact of their actions and words.